Higher Education in New OrleansThere are seven colleges and universities in New Orleans in addition to the state’s largest community college and premier medical school. Several of these institutions are nationally recognized for their outstanding graduate and undergraduate programs. In addition to great business and academic curricula, some schools feature special training programs in high-growth industries such as bioinnovation and creative digital media.
Delgado Community College’s Workforce Development and Education Unit provides local employers with a way to retrain, advance, and attract talented professionals, through their continuing education courses and Incumbent Worker Training Program.
(Source: New Orleans CityBusiness Book of Lists)
Chancellor: Joan Y. Davis
- Delgado and the LTC Region 1 combined enrollments make them the largest provider of workforce training with more than 9,500 individuals receiving services.
City Park | West Bank | Charity School of Nursing | Northshore | Maritime, Fire & Industrial Facility | Jefferson Site | West Jefferson Site | Slidell Instructional Services Site
Dillard University is a private four-year historically black liberal arts college located in the Gentilly area of New Orleans. Dillard University is home to six academic schools, including Business, Natural Science, Public Health, and Nursing.
(Source: New Orleans CityBusiness Book of Lists)
President: Walter M. Kimbrough, Ph.D.
- 25th– Liberal Arts Colleges — Washington Monthly 2011
- 9th– Historically Black Colleges and Universities – U.S. News & World Report
2601 Gentilly Boulevard
New Orleans, LA 70122
The Louisiana State University Health Sciences center consists of six schools of medical practice, which include: Allied Health Professions, Dentistry, Graduate Studies, Medicine, Nursing, and Public Health.
- LSU Health Sciences operates the only Level 1 Trauma Center in New Orleans. Read more here
Loyola University is a Jesuit college located in Uptown New Orleans. The university includes five colleges focusing on Business, Humanities and Natural Sciences, Law, Music & Fine Arts, and Social Sciences.
Total Graduate Enrollment: 2,017
Total Enrollment: 4,982
(Source: Loyola University website)
President: Rev. Kevin Wildes, S.J.
- 119th in the South and 336th in Forbes’ list of America’s Top Colleges in 2011
- Ranked 26th by Washington Monthly as a Top College That Give Back To Communities in 2011
- The College of Law moot court program was ranked one of the top 10 advocacy programs in the country in the September 2011 edition of The National Jurist
- Princeton Review ranked the College of Business among the nation’s Best Business Schools for 2012
6363 Saint Charles Avenue # 198
New Orleans, LA
Our Lady of Holy Cross College
Our Lady of Holy Cross College is a regionally accredited 4 year institution located in Algiers on the west bank of the Mississippi River.
Total Graduate Enrollment: 263
Total Enrollment: 1,260
Interim President: David M. “Buck” Landry, Ph.D.Address:
4123 Woodland Drive
New Orleans, LA 70131
Southern University at New Orleans is a public four-year undergraduate and graduate school college.
Total Graduate Enrollment: 575
Total Enrollment: 3,165
University Chancellor: Victor Ukpolo, Ph.D.
- #159 – 2008 Best Social Work Grad School U.S. News & World Report
6400 Press Drive
New Orleans, LA 70126
Tulane University is a prestigious private research university located in the Uptown area of New Orleans. Schools and colleges include: School of Architecture, A.B. Freeman School of Business, School of Continuing Studies, School of Law, School of Liberal Arts, Newcomb-Tulane College, School of Public Health and Tropical Medicine, School of Science & Engineering, and School of Social Work.
Total Graduate Enrollment: 5,021
Total Enrollment: 13,359
(Source: Tulane University website)
President: Michael A. Fitts
- 50th – U.S. News & World Report America’s Best Colleges 2012
- 14th – A.B. Freeman School of Business: Princeton Review Top Graduate Programs for Entrepreneurs
- 30th – Bloomberg Business Week ranks the MBA program 30th in the nation
- 32nd overall and 17th among private universities in income received through technology transfers
6823 St. Charles Avenue
New Orleans, LA 70118
The University of New Orleans (UNO) is a 195-acre research university located on the shore of Lake Pontchartrain. Schools and colleges include: College of Business Administration, College of Education and Human Development, College of Engineering, College of Liberal Arts, College of Sciences, Graduate School and Continuing Education.
Total Graduate Enrollment: 2,640
Total Enrollment: 10,903
(Source: University of New Orleans website)
President: Peter J. Fos, D.D.S., Ph.D., M.P.H.
- Forbes’ America’s Best Colleges
- U.S. News & World Report America’s Best Colleges 2012
- Washington Monthly National University Rankings
2000 Lakeshore Drive
New Orleans, LA 70148
Xavier University is a private liberal arts college located in New Orleans. The university is recognized for its programs in the fields of physics, biology and life sciences, and physical sciences.
President: C. Reynold Verret, Ph.D.
- 5th – Historically Black Colleges and Universities
- Top three producers in the nation of African-Americans with Doctor of Pharmacy degrees
- Regularly ranks first in the nation placing African-American students into medical school
1 Drexel Drive
New Orleans, LA 70125