The Right Workforce for Your Business Needs
Ensuring that you can recruit the best employees and provide continuous training for them to meet ever-changing industry demands is essential for success. The State of Louisiana and New Orleans deliver both.
The state’s FastStart Workforce Development Program has been rated the #1 workforce recruitment and training program in the U.S. for four consecutive years. It designs and delivers comprehensive workforce solutions to meet the needs of a spectrum of companies, ranging from startups to Fortune 100 enterprises. Clients include GE Capital, IBM and Lockheed Martin.
New Orleans’ seven colleges and universities graduate a highly skilled workforce ready to help grow your business. An overview of the city’s higher education institutions follows. Visit our Higher Education page for more details.
- Delgado Community College is nationally ranked for the following:
- Top 10 community colleges nationally for the number of two-year career certifications credentials
- Top 100 community colleges nationwide for 1-year career certifications
- Top 25 among community colleges nationally for associate degrees awarded in nursing (registered nurses)
- Delgado and the LTC Region 1 combined enrollments to make them the largest provider of workforce training with more than 9,500 individuals receiving services.
- Dillard University, a private four-year historically black liberal arts college home to six academic schools, including Business, Natural Science, Public Health and Nursing, received the following rankings in 2017:
- 12th— Historically Black Colleges and Universities — U.S. News & World Report 2017
- 191st College in the South — Forbes 2017
- In 2017, U.S. News & World Report ranked the University of Holy Cross as the 56th best Regional Colleges in the South.
- In 2017, U.S. News & World Report ranked Loyola University as the 10th best Regional Universities South, 12th in Best Value Schools, and 183rd in Business Programs.
- The Louisiana State University Health Sciences operates the only Level 1 Trauma Center in New Orleans and received rankings in 2017 by Forbes including:
- 41st in Public Colleges (LSU)
- 80th in Research Universities (LSU)
- 31st in the region (LSU)
- In 2017, U.S. News & World Report ranked Southern University at New Orleans as Tier 2 in the 2017 edition of Best Colleges in Regional Universities South.
- Tulane University consistently received high rankings including:
- 39th in National Universities – U.S. News & World Report 2017
- 25th Top Colleges in South 2016 – Forbes
- 14th — A.B. Freeman School of Business: Princeton Review Top Graduate Programs for Entrepreneurs
- 30th — Bloomberg Business Week ranks the MBA program 30th in the nation
- The University of New Orleans (UNO), a 195-acre research university, has been listed in the following:
- U.S. News & World Report Least Debt List
- The Princeton Review’s Best 380 Colleges
- Center of the World University Rankings Top 1000
- Carnegie Foundation-classified Research Institution
- Payscale.com Best in State in Early Career Salaries
- Xavier University also received high rankings including:
- 6th — Historically Black Colleges and Universities
- Top three producers in the nation of African-Americans with Doctor of Pharmacy degrees
- 27th in Regional Universities South
- 6th in the USA for upward mobility of its student
- 1st in the nation in awarding bachelor’s degrees to African-American students in the biological and biomedical sciences, the physical sciences, and physics
- 1st in the nation in the number of African-American graduates who go on to complete medical school
In January 2014, GE, UNO and the State of Louisiana partnered to launch the world-class Software Engineering Apprenticeship Program (SWEAP) for undergraduate students, establishing a vital pipeline of talent for New Orleans’ future.
New Orleans also serves as home to the National Center for Advanced Manufacturing (NCAM), an education and research partnership aligning NASA, the State of Louisiana, The University of New Orleans and Louisiana State University.