The Right Workforce for Your Business needs ensuring that you can recruit the best employees and provide continuous training for them to meet ever-changing industry demands is essential for success. The State of Louisiana and New Orleans deliver both.
The state’s FastStart Workforce Development Program has been rated the #1 workforce recruitment and training program in the U.S. for four consecutive years. It designs and delivers comprehensive workforce solutions to meet the needs of a spectrum of companies, ranging from startups to Fortune 100 enterprises. Clients include GE Capital, IBM and Lockheed Martin.
New Orleans’ seven colleges and universities graduate a highly skilled workforce ready to help grow your business. An overview of the city’s higher education institutions follows. Visit our Higher Education page for more details.
- Delgado Community College’s Workforce Development and Education Unit provides local employers with a way to retrain, advance, and attract talented professionals, through their continuing education courses and Incumbent Worker Training Program.
- In 2011, Washington Monthly ranked Dillard University as the 25th best Liberal Arts College.
- The Louisiana State University Health Sciences Center operates the only Level 1 Trauma Center in New Orleans, and Louisiana Economic Development (LED) ranks the number of LSU computer science graduates, expected to enter the workforce by 2015 at 8th in the nation.
- Loyola University’s College of Business was ranked as among the nation’s Best Business Schools for 2012 by The Princeton Review.
- Tulane University consistently received high rankings including:
- 50th – U.S. News & World Report America’s Best Colleges 2012
- 14th – A.B. Freeman School of Business: The Princeton Review Top Graduate Programs for Entrepreneurs
- 30th – Bloomberg Business Week ranks the MBA program 30th in the nation
- 32nd overall and 17th among private universities in income received through technology transfers
- The University of New Orleans (UNO), a 195-acre research university, has been listed in Forbes’ America’s Best Colleges list, U.S. News & World Report America’s Best Colleges 2012 list and Washington Monthly National University Rankings.
- Top 10 ranked Naval Architecture & Marine Engineering Program
- Top Tier Masters of Public Administration Program by U.S. News & World Report
- Xavier University is recognized for its programs in the fields of physics, biology and life sciences, and physical sciences, and is a top three producer in the nation of African Americans with Doctor of Pharmacy degrees.
In January 2014, GE, UNO and the State of Louisiana partnered to launch the world-class Software Engineering Apprenticeship Program (SWEAP) for undergraduate students, establishing a vital pipeline of talent for New Orleans’ future.
New Orleans also serves as home to the National Center for Advanced Manufacturing (NCAM), an education and research partnership aligning NASA, the State of Louisiana, The University of New Orleans and Louisiana State University