Economic Development Ambassador Program
The New Orleans Business Alliance’s Economic Development Ambassador Program provides in-depth insight into the work of growing and diversifying the city’s economy. Because economic development cuts across every industry and impacts the economic security of all New Orleanians, this seven week program convenes experienced professionals in a variety of business sectors to engage participants and produce informed ambassadors for our city.
The program connects participants with industry experts and business leaders across all facets of the economic landscape in New Orleans. Leveraging experiential learning, design thinking, and panel formats, the program pairs data with discussion around issues, opportunities, and plans for New Orleans’ economic future. Program participants are encouraged to engage and contribute to the agenda for the evening. In addition to weekly sessions, the program offers tours of companies and locations that serve as the community’s major economic drivers. The program culminates with group presentations related to session themes.
Economic Development Ambassador Program participants will:
- Gain valuable insight into the current economic state of the city and the efforts to attract and retain companies, catalyze place-based economic growth, and support local talent;
- Learn the most effective ways to promote New Orleans through an economic lens;
- Build relationships with growth-minded professionals and local business leaders;
- Receive invitations to special events and behind-the-scenes tours;
- Make a personal difference in the city’s economic vitality and prosperity.
- Must be at least 25 years old
- Must live and work in Greater New Orleans
- Must demonstrate current or past involvement in the community
- Must be available to participate in the full program
Applications submitted by candidates will be reviewed by a panel comprised of internal NOLABA leadership with experience across sector and industry. Applications will be assessed based on the following elements:
- Commitment to New Orleans
- Alignment with NOLABA’s vision is to reposition New Orleans as a great American city for business investment, quality of life and economic opportunity
- Experience that demonstrates interpersonal skills or professional expertise that can be leveraged
- Community Involvement
- Two (2) references
Program participation is contingent upon selection following a competitive application process. Participation in the program comes at the cost of $250. The program fee must be paid in full by the date of the first session. Program fees includes all program costs and materials, including meals.
Companies are allowed to subsidize the program fees of any employees who are selected to participate in the program.
Applications for the Spring 2019 class are OPEN.
Please note: The application process includes the following short answer (200-300 words) prompts.
- What do you believe are New Orleans’ strongest attributes?
- In your opinion, what are the city’s most significant problems?
- What do you hope to gain from this program?
- What do you hope to contribute to this program?
To view a pdf version of the application, see below.
DEADLINE Extension! Please apply by March 29, 2019 by 5:00 p.m. CT.
Applicants will be notified of the decisions by April 4, 2019.
New Orleans Economic Development Ambassadorship Program – Spring 2019 Session Schedule
Spring 2019 classes will run Wednesday evenings April 24th – May 29th from 5:30 – 8:00. The final session/graduation reception will be held Wednesday, June 5th. Dinner is included at each session.
Introduction and Welcome- April 24
New Orleans Business Alliance Community Room, 1250 Poydras, Suite 2150
Session 2: Education, Talent & Workforce Development- May 1
Session 3: Hospitality, Tourism & Culture- May 8
Session 4: Small Business, Entrepreneurs & the Growing the Tech Sector- May 15
Session 5: Industry, Manufacturing & Logistics -May 22
Session 6: Real Estate, Retail & Neighborhood Development- May 29
SBP, 2645 Toulouse Street
Graduation- June 5
New Orleans Jazz Market, 1436 Oretha Castle Haley Blvd.
Industry Asset/Enrichment Tours (Throughout program – participants should choose at least 1 to attend)
- Port of New Orleans Tour-Monday, May 13 at 5:00 p.m.
Thank you to our sponsors:
As the official economic development organization for the city of New Orleans, the New Orleans Business Alliance partners with businesses throughout the city to build a strong, sustainable economy for all residents. To inquire about sponsoring our Economic Development Ambassadorship Program, contact Vice President of Investor Relations Stephanie Bell.