Higher Education in New Orleans
There are seven colleges and universities in New Orleans in addition to the state’s largest community college and premier medical school. Several of these institutions are nationally recognized for their outstanding graduate and undergraduate programs. In addition to great business and academic curricula, some schools feature special training programs in high-growth industries such as bioinnovation and creative digital media.
Delgado Community College’s Workforce Development and Education Unit provides local employers with a way to retrain, advance, and attract talented professionals, through their continuing education courses and Incumbent Worker Training Program.
(Source: Delgado Community College Website)
Chancellor: Joan Y. Davis
- Top 10 community colleges nationally for the number of two-year career certification credentials awarded: 1,537
- Top 100 community colleges nationwide for 1-year career certificates awarded: 918
- Top 25 among community colleges nationally for associate degrees awarded in nursing (registered nurses): 301
- Delgado and the LTC Region 1 combined enrollments make them the largest provider of workforce training with more than 9,500 individuals receiving services.
Source: Delgado Community College Website
615 City Park Avenue
New Orleans, LA 70119
Dillard University is a private four-year historically black liberal arts college located in the Gentilly area of New Orleans. Dillard University is home to six academic schools, including Business, Natural Science, Public Health, and Nursing.
(Source: US News & World Report)
President: Walter M. Kimbrough, Ph.D.
- 12th– Historically Black Colleges and Universities – U.S. News & World Report 2017
- #191 College in the South – Forbes 2017
2601 Gentilly Boulevard
New Orleans, LA 70122
University of Holy Cross is a small, four-year university located on the West Bank of the Mississippi River, close to downtown New Orleans. It is one of eight Holy Cross colleges and universities nationwide.
Total Graduate Enrollment: 263
(Source: US News & World Report)
President: David M. “Buck” Landry, Ph.D.
- #56 in Regional Colleges South – U.S. News & World Report 2017
4123 Woodland Drive
New Orleans, LA 70131
Loyola University is a Jesuit college located in Uptown New Orleans. The university includes five colleges focusing on Business, Humanities and Natural Sciences, Law, Music & Fine Arts, and Social Sciences.
Total Graduate Enrollment: 1,196
Total Enrollment: 3,702
(Source: Loyola University website)
President: Rev. Kevin Wildes, S.J.
- #10 in Regional Universities South – U.S. News & World Report 2017
- #12 in Best Value Schools – U.S. News & World Report 2017
- #183 in Business Programs – U.S. News & World Report 2017
6363 Saint Charles Avenue # 198
New Orleans, LA
The Louisiana State University Health Sciences center consists of six schools of medical practice, which include: Allied Health Professions, Dentistry, Graduate Studies, Medicine, Nursing, and Public Health.
(Source: U.S. News & World Report 2017)
- #41 in Public Colleges (LSU) – Forbes 2017
- #80 in Research Universities (LSU) – Forbes 2017
- #31 in the region (LSU) – Forbes 2017
- LSU Health Sciences operates the only Level 1 Trauma Center in New Orleans. Read more here
Southern University at New Orleans is a public four-year undergraduate and graduate school college.
Interim Chancellor: Lisa Mims-Devezin, Ph.D.
- Ranking in the 2017 edition of Best Colleges in Regional Universities South, Tier 2 – U.S. News & World Report
6400 Press Drive
New Orleans, LA 70126
New Orleans Baptist Theological Seminary offers a wide variety of ministry preparation classes on campus as well as short academic workshops, classes in extension centers, and online courses. The Seminary is located on a 70 acre site in the Gentilly area.
Total Graduate Enrollment: 2,268
President: Charles Kelley, Ph.D.
3939 Gentilly Blvd
New Orleans, LA 70126
Tulane University is a prestigious private research university located in the Uptown area of New Orleans. Schools and colleges include: School of Architecture, A.B. Freeman School of Business, School of Continuing Studies, School of Law, School of Liberal Arts, Newcomb-Tulane College, School of Public Health and Tropical Medicine, School of Science & Engineering, and School of Social Work.
Total Graduate Enrollment: 3,231
Total Enrollment: 11,683
(Source: Tulane University website)
President: Michael A. Fitts
- #39 in National Universities – U.S. News & World Report 2017
- #25 Top Colleges in South 2016 – Forbes
- 14th – A.B. Freeman School of Business: Princeton Review Top Graduate Programs for Entrepreneurs
- 30th – Bloomberg Business Week ranks the MBA program 30th in the nation
6823 St. Charles Avenue
New Orleans, LA 70118
The University of New Orleans (UNO) is a 195-acre research university located on the shore of Lake Pontchartrain. Schools and colleges include: College of Business Administration, College of Liberal Arts, Education and Human Development, College of Engineering, College of Sciences, Graduate School and Continuing Education.
Total Graduate Enrollment: 1,396
Total Enrollment: 7,310
(Source: University of New Orleans website)
President: John W. Nicklow, Ph.D.
- U.S. News & World Report Least Debt List
- The Princeton Review’s Best 380 Colleges
- Center for World University Rankings Top 1000
- Carnegie Foundation-classified Research Institution
- Payscale.com Best in State in Early Career Salaries
Source: UNO Website
2000 Lakeshore Drive
New Orleans, LA 70148
Xavier University is a private liberal arts college located in New Orleans. The university is recognized for its programs in the fields of physics, biology and life sciences, and physical sciences.
President: C. Reynold Verret, Ph.D.
- 6th – Historically Black Colleges and Universities
- Top three producers in the nation of African-Americans with Doctor of Pharmacy degrees
- #27 in Regional Universities South
- #6 in the USA for upward mobility of its student
- #1 in the nation in awarding bachelor’s degrees to African American students in the biological and biomedical sciences, the physical sciences, and physics
- #1 in the nation in the number of African American graduates who go on to complete medical school
Source: Xavier Website
1 Drexel Drive
New Orleans, LA 70125